- Why should I have to know anything about computer programming? Aren't there
already more than enough computer programs around?
- That's a bit like asking, "Why should anyone be taught how to write? Aren't there
more than enough books and magazines that have already been written?"
There is an old Chinese proverb:
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed
him for a lifetime."
A similar thing can be said about computer programming:
"Give a man a program and you satisfy his software needs for a day. Teach a man
how to write programs and you satisfy his software needs for a lifetime."
In the field of music, there are professional singers who've made high quality recordings that
anyone can listen to. So, if you want to hear a song, you can just play one of those recordings.
But then, if that's the case, why has karaoke become so popular? Why would anyone want to sing
a song themselves when they could listen to a professional who can sing that song better?
Why? Because it's fun to do things yourself! And the same goes for programming!
Computer programming is a "game" that challenges your creative abilities as well as your intellect!
- But I know absolutely nothing about computer programming. So how will I
ever be able to write my own computer programs?
- We have an online SiMPLE tutorial
that teaches you, from the
ground up, the fundamentals of computer programming As you read the tutorial,
you will actually start creating your own computer programs in a training language
called Micro-SiMPLE, a subset of SiMPLE which
requires you to know only four keywords. (Other programming languages require you
to know hundreds of them!!)
- How "smart" do I have to be if I want to be able to write my own computer
- Not very! (With SiMPLE, even we can do it!
) But we do recommend that you be at least about ten years old.
- Is SiMPLE only for creating "graphics" programs (such as games)?
- No! SiMPLE can be used for much more than merely creating graphics and games.
For example, with SiMPLE you can create
programs that read and write data to any type of file on any
of your your disks. This means that you have the capability of creating your own
data processing software! Furthermore, SiMPLE's math library contains functions
that not only let you compute ordinary trigonometric values but hyperbolic values
as well. (And there are several other functions in the library that provide some
unique capabilities not usually found in other programming languages.)
SiMPLE is a general purpose development system that let's you do many
things. (In fact, SiMPLE itself was actually used to create most of
- If I create a SiMPLE program and give a copy of it to my friends, will
they have to install SiMPLE on their computers before they can run
- No. Programs created with SiMPLE compile into ordinary executable (.EXE) files which
will run on almost any PC. (But after your friends see the kinds of cool programs you're
making, they'll probably want to install SiMPLE on their
- Is my free copy of SiMPLE merely some kind of "limited time" trial version
that will expire in 30 days or so?
- No! SiMPLE is yours to keep forever!
It will never expire.
- If I download SiMPLE, am I under any obligation to buy other
products from your company?
- None whatsoever! SiMPLE is a complete development system all by
itself. There are absolutely no hidden costs or obligations. (And it does
not contain any adware or spyware.)
- Can SiMPLE be used to create programs that will run in a window?
- Yes! In fact, SiMPLE gives you a choice: You can not only create programs that run
in a window, but you can also create programs that run in "full-screen" mode
(in which you have control over every pixel on your display screen!)
- Can SiMPLE be used on an Apple Macintosh?
- At the present time SiMPLE works only on Windows-based computers. If your Macintosh
has special hardware that supports Windows (or if it has a Windows emulator), then
it will run SiMPLE. Otherwise you will have to wait until such time as we release a
- What are the minimum system requirements for running SiMPLE?
- The only system requirement for running SiMPLE is that your computer must have a version
of Windows (i.e., Windows 95 or later.) If your machine supports almost any standard version of
Windows, then it should automatically support SiMPLE too.
[However, there are a very small number of computers on which SiMPLE doesn't seem
to work properly, and we don't exactly know why. If SiMPLE
doesn't work on your computer, click here
for instructions on how to to run SiMPLE in Trace Mode so that we can help you track down
- How much disk space does SiMPLE need?
- That depends on how many programs you intend to create! SiMPLE itself (along with its C++
compiler) use only about 64 megabytes. So 80-90 megabytes of disk space should be enough
to last you for quite a while.
- If I install the current version of SiMPLE, and you make changes to it later on,
how do I update my installed version?
- Just visit our How to Update Your Copy of SiMPLE page.
- If I install SiMPLE on my computer and I later decide that I don't want to
use SiMPLE anymore, how hard will it be to remove it from my system?
- Uninstalling SiMPLE is trivially easy -- all you have to do is delete the "SiMPLE"
folder, the "Borland" folder, and the "Library" folder from the drive that you
"installed" SiMPLE on. Because SiMPLE is completely non-intrusive, no "uninstall
wizard" is needed. (Don't you wish that all software could be like
[Or, if you prefer, you can merely run our convenient Uninstaller program.]
- I've heard about something called "Object-Oriented Programming" (OOP). What exactly
is it, and will SiMPLE let me do it?
- An "Object" is a software entity that contains its own built-in data and
functionality. Strictly speaking, SiMPLE is not an "Object-oriented programming
language". But that doesn't mean that you can't do Object-oriented programming with
SiMPLE. (For further information about "Objects" and how to implement them, see:
"Doing Object-Oriented Programming In SiMPLE")
- All of this is fine and dandy. But other programming languages, such as C++, are more
"fashionable" to use. So even though it's a much more difficult language, what I would really
like to have is the ability to create programs in C++.
- Well, guess what...
SiMPLE lets you write programs in C++ too!
SiMPLE contains a full C++ compiler! And you can either
intermix C++ statements along with SiMPLE statements
(click here to read how),
or you can use the SiMPLE environment to write programs entirely in C++
(click here to read how).
So, if you're already an experienced C++ programmer, SiMPLE provides you with the best of
both environments. Or if you're just an aspiring C++ novice, you can use SiMPLE
to ease yourself into the world of C++ programming in gentle steps (instead of having to "dive"
into it "cold").
- Can I use SiMPLE to create programs for the Internet?
- It depends on what you mean by "for the Internet". You certainly can upload SiMPLE
programs (source listings and/or executable files) to your website so that anyone in
the world can download them. And you can also create SiMPLE programs that directly receive files
from websites on the Internet. And you can even even use SiMPLE to create a local area
network, and create games that can be played between two or more computers.
(For example, see our "Space War" game.)
But if you want to create web pages that have all kinds of fancy animations on them, you'll just have to
- What is your "Usage Agreement" for using SiMPLE?
- Our "Usage Agreement" page is very short, and you can read it by clicking here.
- Why are you giving away SiMPLE instead of selling it?
- Now that we are living in the 21st century, we believe that
everybody should have at least an elementary knowledge of computer
programming. And they shouldn't have to pay money in order to achieve that minimum
level of computer literacy. So we are making SiMPLE available to the world, free of
- What should I do if I have other questions about SiMPLE?
- Visit our
SiMPLE CodeWorks Online Communications Center.